Tuesday, March 24, 2009

*update*

So, on Monday was my personal care class. I also dropped my resume off for the office manager. She was in a meeting when I got there so I didn't get to meet her. After my class, I decided to wait and introduce myself so she could put a face with the name. She was in another meeting when my class ended so I waited about 15 minutes.

She came out and I introduced myself. She was incredibly nice and asked if I wanted to come into her office and chat for awhile. So we had an impromptu interview for about 20 minutes. I think it went really well--afterwards, she introduced me to the staffing supervisor who is the person in charge of the department I would work in if I got the job. We sat and talked for about 10 minutes; she seemed really nice too. I went out of it thinking that I would LOVE to get this job--everyone there seems so nice and really fun to work with. Mary (the office manager) told me she would talk with her business partner and get back to me by the end of the week.

I received a call from her today to do a "phone-screening"--she had explained yesterday that the way we were doing things was not the way they generally go about hiring someone. The process usually starts with a phone screening, then an in-person interview, etc. So she wanted to do the phone-screening to get the formalities out of the way. We talked for about 15 minutes and she told me she would talking with her business partner again about our conversation. She also mentioned that they were still in the process of receiving resumes so I'm not sure if I'll get another call back this week or not. I'm hoping so.

The only downfall if you will is...well, you'll see. I talked to Abby today (my friend that works there) and she said that Mary thinks I'm....are you ready for this? Too nice. No joke. Apparantly with this job, there's a fair amount of dealing with, shall we say, unpleasant caregivers. Or caregivers who aren't exactly doing their job and need a little push in the right direction. And Mary is worried that I'm too nice to actually "be mean" and tell them to do their job.

Trust me. I can be mean! I mean, my general demeaner is pleasant I like to think. And as long as everyone is doing their job, I remain happy and respectful. But that doesn't mean I can't be stern when I need to. Come on, there was a reason why I was the disciplinarian at Summer Spec--those kids knew I meant business and that they weren't going to get away with anything. The problem is that I can't call up Mary and be like "hey, Abby says you think I'm too nice...I can be mean"...so, somehow in my next conversation with Mary (as long as it's not the i would love to have you work here but you're too nice rejection call), I'm going to have to find a way to let her know that I can do it...

After almost 3 months of unemployment, I am *not* going to be happy if the sole reason I don't get this job is because I'm too nice. Honestly!

No comments: