Saturday, March 21, 2009

don't worry, I'm TB-free

Seriously.

When I got the job as caregiver at Home Instead, after the orientation-I was only qualified to do home management caregiving. Which means just basic stuff--cleaning around the house, running errands, etc. No helping the clients get up from their chairs, no helping them get dressed and so on. A more hands off approach if you will. However, the majority of their hours go to personal care caregivers which allows you to do much more. Because personal care is a hands on approach, they require you to get a TB test and take further training. So, I went on Thursday and got my TB test administered so I could go to the personal care training on Monday. I got my test read today and, of course, I don't have TB. I wasn't worried about it but still, good to know I guess??

Oh, did you catch that? I have a job. I don't think I've mentioned that on here yet. Mostly because I haven't actually worked at it yet so it doesn't really feel like a job, ya know?

On to better news anyways. And typically, I don't like to mention job opportunities/interviews, etc. because I always feel a little stupid if I don't get the job. But, I'm at that point where I just don't care anymore so I'm going to write about it... haha :)

I got a phone call from the office manager at Home Instead. They happen to have an open full-time office position that they wanted me to apply for. So, since I'll be in the office for the personal care training on Monday, I am bringing them my resume to look at. I'm not sure if they have other candidates as well...I was a little confused by the way she worded it on the phone. The open position is for a Staff Coordinator and their basic job is to coordinate scheduling between the caregivers and clients. They make sure they are matching the best caregivers with the appropriate client, taking into consideration location, activities, interests, personality, etc. She said it can be very fast-paced and stressful (i.e. when a caregiver calls in sick and you need to rush to find a replacement caregiver for their client) and asked if that was something I was interested in. I generally don't get too stressed and frazzled when it comes to my work so I think it's something I could handle. So this is the part where I got confused about if there were other people applying...after she explained the job description, she said "so what we'd like to do is kind of have a trial period for a few weeks to see how you like it and handle it...and if you prove yourself and enjoy doing it, we would offer a very competitive financial package." So I'm not completely sure what to take out of that. I don't know if she was just saying whoever they decide after they review applications would go through that or if they are going to give me the opportunity immediately and see how it goes. I mean, I guess either way is fine--this opportunity was kind of handed to me and I should have to work for it just like everyone else...I was just a little confused.

So, that's where I'm at. Hopefully at some point this week, I'll find out more about this office position because, honestly, I think I would prefer doing that. Especially because it's full-time and would have a consistent schedule. So we'll see...I'll keep you posted :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats that is awesome! Hope everything works out for you!