Sunday, March 29, 2009

there's a reason

Have you ever reminisced about the past and caught yourself playing the "I miss" game?

I played that game constantly until recently. "Gosh, I miss being in high school and not having a care in the world." "I miss my late-night walks around Como with Kirsten." "I miss sitting up until 4 a.m. talking with Kristina Marie." "I miss having my best friends all live within 10 blocks of me." "I miss college."

Believe it or not, that last one is actually true too..


I'm sure I'm not the only one--in fact, I know I'm not the only one--who has been known to look back on life and miss certain things. And that's normal. I mean, some of the best days of my life have been in the past. Some of the best conversations I ever had were walking around Como at midnight with Kirsten or sitting in mine and Kristy's dorm room talking about life at 4 in the morning. But I also think that some of my best days are still to come. And while I do miss doing some of those things I used to do, playing the "I miss" game kind of goes against the whole "thinking-of-the-positive, live-in-the-here-and-now, keep-a-smile-on-your-face" mindset I'm trying to have every day.

There's a difference between remembering the past and keeping those memories alive but not letting them dictate your future. I used to look back on those memories and they would make me sad. Not because the memories themselves were sad but because I just plain missed still creating those memories. And happy memories shouldn't make you feel sad.

I came to realize that those memories will always have a place in my heart. And I can remember them whenever I want. But why sit and play the "I miss" game when you can go out and create a million more memories? Isn't that what life is about? A series of memories you want to keep with you at all times?

I love my memories. But I can't miss old memories if I want to create new ones.




No comments: