Thursday, March 5, 2009

gotta stop this...

Gotta stop what, you ask?

Well, whenever a new opportunity comes up that I'm really excited about, I always tell myself I'm *not* going to get my hopes up. I tell myself that because I truly do realize how bad the economy is right now. I know how many people are unemployed and searching for a job just like me. So I tell myself I won't get my hopes up because I know my chances aren't great. I mean, let's be honest, right? I could be 100% qualified for a job that is perfect for me--and my chances still aren't that great.

Where is this coming from? Right?

Well a friend referred me for a job at the place she works. It's a great place to work (in fact, Greg also works there) and when I read the qualifications for the position, I felt like it fit me so perfectly. It was an Administrative Assistant II position--and they're all different--this position did a lot of proofreading/editing and anyone that knows me knows that that's what I do. As in, not even for a job...that's what I do for fun? (sidebar: I don't know if fun is the appropriate word...that makes me sound of kind of lame!) But anyways, I do enjoy proofreading--in high school and college, I edited all my friends papers and it's just something I love doing.

Anyways, I kept telling myself don't get your hopes up, don't get your hopes up, don't get your hopes up. It's so much easier to tell yourself that than to actually do it. I try to force myself to not get my hopes up but when it's something that seems so perfect, it's hard not to.

Basically what it comes down to is they had already filled the position by the time they received my resume. I'm so thankful that Kel thought of me and brought this opportunity to my attention. And I'm really not going to let this get me down--I can't--but I do have to stop getting my hopes up.

No comments: