Monday, April 20, 2009

weight loss update

So...I realized I hadn't posted a weight loss update for a few weeks. Mostly because I haven't lost any more. But, I also haven't gained any more so that's good! I've been hovering around the same number for a few weeks.

In all honesty, I can't say I'm surprised in the least. The last two weeks have been up and down consistently. Plus, mix two days of Easter feasts in there and...let's just say, I'm happy I haven't gained any weight! But I'm now putting my nose back to the grindstone and I'm in it for the long haul. The best thing that's come out of this is that I know I have support. Rachel has had my back from day 1 and she truly does motivate me to keep working out and eating healthy! And NOW, Caela is starting a new "healthy" lifestyle and we're going to motivate each other as well.

My goal for this week (by the end of Saturday) was to lose 4 pounds. I've already lost one pound...so three to go!

One very interesting thing that I learned this week is that you need to vary your caloric intake. The biggest mistake of people who go on diets is that all they do is lower their caloric intake. For instance, an average person eats roughly between 2000 and 2500 calories a day. The suggested amount of calories for someone losing weight is about 1200. That's quite a decrease from their regular amount. And, these people DO lose weight right away. But how often do you hear about people getting frustrated because they stop losing weight after a few weeks or a few months? That happens because your body is used to getting a set amount of calories. It readjusts to this amount of calories--therefore your metabolism adjusts.

What you should do is vary your caloric intake every day. Say, for instance, on Monday, you take in 1800 calories. Tuesday, you take in 1300 calories. Wednesday, you take in 1500, etc, etc. What this does is mess with your metabolism--don't worry, in a good way! If your body can't regulate to the same amount of calories every day, then your metabolism is always going to be working--meaning you're always going to have a high metabolism and your body will work harder to burn off calories. When your body is working harder, you're able to continue lose weight.

Interesting huh?

No comments: