Saturday, February 28, 2009

Jack Dann in the house

I recently found this Jack Dann quote, “For me, writing is exploration; and most of the time, I'm surprised where the journey takes me.”

Sometimes I find myself wondering why I write. Why I enjoy it. Why it's something I find myself doing constantly. Growing up, I was always encouraged to read. Reading was something my mother really wanted my sisters and I to enjoy. It wasn't something that was pushed on us but it was strongly recommended. And I think that from my love of reading came my love of writing. I completely understand that for many many people, reading is just reading. They may absolutely love to read but that doesn't mean they love to write. But for me, they go hand in hand.

I have this unquenchable thirst for reading and writing.

Maybe that's why this whole period of unemployment is so hard for me. (“Wait, what?” you say...”shouldn't being unemployed give you plenty of time to read and write?”) Touche. However, I think the reason it is so hard is because I realize that as soon as I get a job, I will find myself with much less time to enjoy my two favorite pastimes. I mean, is it too much to ask to get paid to read and write?!

Anyways, I found that Jack Dann quote and thought it was quite appropriate for me. There's not a lot of people who read my blog. (And I'm okay with that). Even though I don't have hundreds of people reading what I say, I still feel like what I say makes a difference. And I'm perfectly content with the knowledge that it may just make a difference to me. Because, as Mr. Dann so perfectly said, every time I write, it's an exploration. But instead of being surprised “most of the time”, I am almost always surprised where the journey of my writing takes me.

I think that's why I write. To see where I end up.

No comments: